Hello! It’s been awhile since I blogged but I’ve been non-stop for months. This week I was able to work on some of my own projects which is very rare. I’m going to show you how I turned this unwanted dresser into a chic piece. I found this piece with a friend in a burn pile ready to be burned! How sad! Actually my friend spotted it first underneath all sorts of junk! The original drawers have been broken and no good! I knew right away with some love this piece had potential. Here is a photo of the burn pile…..
First, I cleaned & vacummed every little detail and corner. I made sure there wasn’t any hidden animals living inside. Ha! Here is a before picture…..
Second, I decided to strip the top and I discovered a new layer of paint in a light pretty coral color. I decided to stop and use that color as a layering piece & slightly sanded off some of the white layer.
Next, I chose Paris Grey ASCP and painted the entire piece with just a light wash of gray on top. I wanted to make sure the coral color would show through.
Then, I went to Lowes with the measurements of where I wanted the shelves. I had them cut 3 pieces of particle board to fit inside. I had to purchase an entire sheet and came home with the extra. I painted these grey too. I also purchased pretty trim that I cut to size.
After, I nailed the boards in the corners I glued the trim. I painted & distressed the entire piece including trim.
The last shelf was giving me a hard time. I had to use wood filler to even everything out. Overall this project to a few days and a lot of elbow grease! I spent about $20 in materials. The dresser was free. I really love how it came out. I’m going to find some cute baskets to put inside shelves. This piece is not for sale. I hope this inspires to think twice about throwing away a dresser. Thanks for reading! Comments appreciated!
- I’m going to show you how I transformed this vintage armoire. Here is a before photo…
- First, I cleaned it with TSP and aired it out for a few weeks. It had an unpleasant smell to it. I also used fabric softener sheets and placed them randomly inside.
- Next, I chose French Linen ASCP color for the first and second coat. I worked all around from top to bottom making sure I painted all the areas. Here is a video I shared on Instagram and Facebook…..
- Then, I worked on the details of the piece with Old White ASCP using a small brush.
- The next step is adding some depth and I clear waxed the outside of the armoire.
- I took 1/2 water 1/2 of old white ASCP ( one tablespoon)and painted on randomly. I used a white rag and rubbed off after 15-20 seconds. This created a subtle white washed look. (Very hard to show picture of the results)
The inside of armoire was the last thing I worked on. I painted inside two coats of Old White ASCP. I light distressed the outside and inside with a sand block.
While everything is drying I painted the original handles old white. For a splash of color I replaced 4 with blue glass ones I purchased at Hobby Lobby. ( FYI Hobby Lobby has knobs on sale every other week!)
Overall it took about 2 1/2 weeks to complete this project. The armoire has wheels so it can be easily transported. I’m very happy how it turned out. What do you think?
* I apologize for the pictures. The lighting in my home is not that great and the weather lately has not helped with better lighting. *
I will be bringing it to Wagon Wheel Antique Mall next week. Don’t forget to scroll down to the bottom and check out my items currently for sale. Thank you for reading!
- I had the privilege to paint a cool piece of furniture for a customer. This is the before picture I will share what I used for this transformation.
- First, I painted two coats of Coco color ASCP.
- Next, I painted the detail wood with a very small paint brush old white ASCP.
- Then, I clear waxed entire piece. I layered the old white with a dark wax.
- While the piece was drying I painted the handles old white, clear wax then dark wax. (In that order)
After everything was dry. I used a very small amount of Pure white color to get a white washed look on top of the Coco color.
That is all! The process took about a week to finish. What do you think? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading my blog. Scroll down below to see my current items for sale at Wagon Wheel Antique Mall.
I had the privilege of transforming a dresser that needed a lot of tender loving care. I’m going to show you with a little bit of elbow grease …well actually a lot of elbow grease you too can transform an ugly dresser into your favorite piece of furniture. This dresser was in rough shape meaning a horrible painting job.
First, I had to use Tuff- Stripp to strip the paint off. You can get this at any local hardware store. I wore gloves and used my pool deck to do this process. *warning* This stuff stinks real bad.
Next, I used a plastic scraper and scraped off the paint. I repeated this step several times until I got the results I wanted.
Then, I sanded and cleaned the piece with mineral spirits.
I started painting the piece a coco color because I wanted a two toned look. I waited to dry. Then I applied the graphite color over the coco.
I decided to paint the side of drawers a coco color for added flair. I used frog tape so the paint colors will not overlap.
The last step was to seal with a clear wax. Apply the wax with a brush and take off excess with a cotton rag.
This piece is a Stanley furniture priced at $499. It is at Wagon Wheel Antique Mall Ocala, Florida. Thank you for reading my blog.
I hope everyone is having a Jolly season!